Sometimes it’s overwhelming when the things around you need change. Where do you start? How can just one person make a difference? This summer we’re committing to make Chicagoland even better one block at a time. Even the smallest acts can have a big impact.
If you love your street, your block, your neighborhood and are ready to make a difference then join us and take the pledge. You too can be a Neighborhood Hero.
Need ideas? Here are some easy things you can do today!
- Start a neighborhood watch
- Volunteer on a Safe Passages route
- Be sure your home is free of illegal guns
- Pick up trash around the neighborhood
- Walk around and meet someone new
- Organize a block club
- Designate a neighborhood safe space in case of an emergency
- Create care packages for local firefighters, police officers, and medics
- Volunteer to read books at your local library
- Paint a neighborhood mural
- Supervise safe outdoor play hours for kids
- Visit a local restaurant with your neighbors
- Adopt a local school and volunteer to spruce up the school yard
- Care for the yard of an elderly neighbor
- Organize a school supply drive for a family in need
- Start a community garden or plant flowers or trees in a place that needs it
- Remove graffiti
- Volunteer at a local community center
- Organize a neighborhood walking club