How can just one person make a difference? Well, it starts with a small act that has a big impact.
Who do you know that loves their street, block, neighborhood so much that they find a way to make a difference in their own way? If you know someone who fits this description we want to know. They could be our next Neighborhood Hero.
What do Neighborhood Heroes do? Here are just a few clues that make them easy to spot.
- Start a neighborhood watch
- Volunteer on a Safe Passages route
- Be sure your home is free of illegal guns
- Pick up trash around the neighborhood
- Walk around and meet someone new
- Organize a block club
- Designate a neighborhood safe space in case of an emergency
- Create care packages for local firefighters, police officers, and medics
- Volunteer to read books at your local library
- Paint a neighborhood mural
- Supervise safe outdoor play hours for kids
- Visit a local restaurant with your neighbors
- Adopt a local school and volunteer to spruce up the school yard
- Care for the yard of an elderly neighbor
- Organize a school supply drive for a family in need
- Start a community garden or plant flowers or trees in a place that needs it
- Remove graffiti
- Volunteer at a local community center
- Organize a neighborhood walking club